Sunday, November 14, 2010

JACK PASTEL PORTRAIT

My mother in law has been very successful with pastel pet portraits. (Check out her fan page here: Julie's Creations). I know that I've already had one attempt at drawing my kitty cat Jack with pastels and I didn't feel like it was very successful, so I've decided to do it again.
This time I chose black paper as it seems to be my favorite for pastels. I took pictures as I went. Here it is:

As always I started with a sketch and then I went off to blocking off some major areas:
After that I kept blocking off more areas, kept adding colors and blending them in, layer after layer.
The next step was to add in the eyes. They really made him look like himself and gave life to the drawing. At the same time, I kept refining the fur, adding in more colors and blending them in.
The final step was to add some details like the extra sparkle in the eye and whiskers and refine some other spots like the ear. And voila!
It really ended up looking like Jack and I'm very proud of it. I think Jack likes it too since he kept on popping on the desk, trying to check out the progress and help out with some smearing and blending of the colors. 
Poor thing woke up sneezing all over the place and is sick this morning. I hope it passes very soon and we don't have to go to see the vet. I think Jack hates going to the vet the most out of all the things in this whole entire world. Have a wonderful Sunday everybody.



No comments:

Post a Comment